Morgan Park Academy has a maternity coverage opening for a full-time Early Childhood / Elementary Teacher to join our Lower School for the 2019-20 school year (approximately Sept. – Nov. 2019). Founded in 1873, Morgan Park Academy is a co-educational, college preparatory, independent day school in Chicago dedicated to preparing students to pursue the highest levels of educational excellence with an emphasis on independent thinking and global leadership.
The early learning program nurtures the social, emotional, and academic development of each child. A team of teachers leads the early learning center classrooms and collaborates regularly with our kindergarten team. A desire to work in a team-based collaborative classroom is essential.
The Early Childhood / Elementary teachers must be comfortable carrying out curriculum based on the following:
– Whole Child developmental needs
– Play-based learning environment
– Group and individual learning objectives
– Early childhood scope and sequence
– Anti-bias, multicultural learning experiences
– Process over product approach to curriculum development
Candidates should have experience:
– Assessing through various modalities, including portfolios, one on one work and small and large group observations.
– Creating individualized academic instruction plans.
– Teaching early math concepts; one to one correspondence, conservation of numbers, subtilizing, ten frames, number recognition.
– Teaching phonological and phonemic awareness
– Understanding the developmental sequence of phonics acquisition.
– Communicating with parents and conducting Parent/Teacher Conferences.
Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree from a four-year accredited institution. Two to five years of teaching experience is preferred, although not a requirement for application. A Master’s degree, early childhood certification, or a teaching credential is desirable. We are seeking candidates who are passionate about their desire to teach, eager to embrace and forward the mission of the school, and able to contribute to a teaching partnership and to the direction of the school. Excellent oral and written communication skills are essential.
MPA is an equal opportunity employer. Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org; Due to the volume of applications that we receive, no phone calls, please.
NOTES: This position may require the ability to occasionally lift or move items weighing up to 50 pounds.