Morgan Park Academy has an opening for a full-time College Counselor for the 2021-2022 school year.
Founded in 1873, Morgan Park Academy is a co-educational, college preparatory, independent day school in Chicago dedicated to preparing students to pursue the highest levels of educational excellence with an emphasis on independent thinking and global leadership.
Qualified candidates will preferably have 3 or more years of experience as a college counselor; Bachelor’s degree recommended; demonstrated talent to create a positive nurturing environment for students.
Core Areas of Responsibility:
– Facilitate introduction of freshmen, sophomores and their parents to the College Preparation and Placement Office, and offer advice on adjustment to high school.
– Be knowledgeable and up-to-date about college admission policies and procedures.
– Maintain bulletin boards and keep the college counseling page on the school website current.
– Coordinate college fairs, on-campus college admissions representative visit dates, student- group college tours, scholarship and financial aid information.
– Select and nominate students for academic, citizenship, service and other awards.
– Identify and prepare students for Chicago Scholars, Posse, and Questbridge
– Create, publish and update annually the College Planning and Placement Handbook.
– Conduct workshops on College Admissions, Financial Aid, and SCOIR for juniors, seniors and their parents.
– Maintain student files containing college, scholarship, and financial aid information.
– Support the school and its leadership with admission events
– Create four college newsletters per school year and write the college counseling blog
– Review and finalize curriculum at the beginning of the school year for College 101, College 102 and College 103.
– Teach sections of College 101(second semester sophomore year),102 (all year) and 103(all year).
– Consult with teachers in the Advisor program on issues such as college planning and study skills.
– Develop an individualized college counseling plan for all upper school students including advising on extracurricular activities.
– Assume responsibility for counseling students with regard to college selection, application and admission procedures.
– Write the school recommendation for all seniors.
– Send out completed application packages with transcripts, recommendations in a timely fashion.
– Call and/or meet with Upper School parents to discuss their child’s progress and answer questions about standardized testing, grades, colleges, summer school, etc.
– Help seniors edit college essays.
– Oversee Capstone project timeline, responsibilities and process
– Schedule and conduct visits with college admissions representatives, and follow up with students and parents.
We offer a competitive salary, medical, dental and vision benefits as well as retirement plan options.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter through the NAIS career site or directly to email@example.com. Due to the volume of applications that we receive, no phone calls please.