Morgan Park Academy’s math team began competition season with a bang, finishing in third place at the Illinois Council of Teachers of Mathematics (ICTM) regional competition on Feb. 22, 2020.
Despite graduating five seniors from the team that finished 10th in the state last year, MPA again fielded a strong team that earned three individual and five team medals, qualifying for the state finals on May 2.
Coached by math teachers James Goehmann and Catie McAlister, the team comprises nearly two dozen Upper School students: seniors Chelsea Chai, Anthony Jurek, Celeste Kettaneh, Shane Liu, and Luming Zhao; juniors Yidan Bao, Sabrina Eng, Frank Li, Lucy Lu, Sherman Wang, Oscar Zhang, Wayne Zhang, and Ricky Zheng; sophomores Tiffany Chen, Dylan Hagan, Chris Ji, Lana Liu, Lydia Liu, and Merlin Mo; and freshmen Selena Eng, Michaela Olimene, Oriella Ortiz, and Michael Zhao.
- Algebra 2 – Frank, third place
- Geometry – Merlin, first place
- Algebra 1 – Michael, third place
- Orals – first place (Anthony & Celeste)
- Geometry – first place (Tiffany, Dylan, Chris, Lana, Lydia, and Merlin)
- Freshman-Sophomore 8-person team – second place (Selena, Michaela, Oriella, Michael, Tiffany, Dylan, Lydia, and Merlin)
- Freshman-Sophomore 2-person team – tied for second place (Tiffany & Merlin)
- Algebra 1 – second place (Selena, Michaela, Oriella, and Michael)