Morgan Park Academy students performed their annual charity dance show, Dance for Life, on Feb. 28-29, 2020, raising $1,400 to support dance professionals facing critical health issues.
Chicago Dancers United, which launched Dance for Life in 1991, is an organization that supports organizations and dance professionals facing critical health issues. As a catalyst for a unified artistic community in Chicago, Dance for Life uses dance to support a stronger and healthier community focused on health and well-being.
In conjunction with this group, Morgan Park Academy students organize, coordinate, choreograph, produce, and promote their own show to support this cause. This is the 18th year of the student-run dance show. All proceeds go to Chicago Dancers United.
PHOTO SLIDESHOW (see more)
With a whole child educational philosophy, Morgan Park Academy recognizes that each student has many talents, and helps students to realize the power they have to effect change in their world. Students cultivate their passions while also fostering a commitment to service learning and giving to others.
After months of rehearsals, hard work, and dedication, the students were finally able to showcase their talents in this student-run event.
Directed this year by Rachel Sheppard, a junior from Morgan Park, 40-plus students in grades 8-12 took the stage for more than a dozen acts.
Dance styles reflected the diversity of the MPA student body, with performances featuring modern dance, hip-hop, ballet, stepping, and traditional Polish dance.
DANCE FOR LIFE
Feb. 28-29, 2020
- “Step Routine” — Kennedy O., LaDaeja, and Natalie
- “Envy Me” — Alexus & Sham
- “Toes” — Kennedy S.
- “Afro Beat Dance” — Kennedy O., Avi, Elijah, Samaria, Sheridan, LaDaeja, Maryn, and Alexus
- “Sing, Sing, Sing” — Rachel
- “Trust in You” — Tess C.
- “No Guidance” — Kennedy O., Alexus, Sham, Simone
- “Duet” — Trinity & Leona
- “Have Mercy” — Samaria
- “Hit Yo Groove” — Alexus, Sham & Co.
- “Senior Dance” — Kennedy O., Sofie, Amari, Abbey, Samaria, Danae, Drew, DeAngelo, Maryn, Giles, LaDaeja, Logan, Alex, and Tess K.
- “Polish Duet” — Chris & Brian
- “Finale” — Sheridan, Rachel, Kennedy O., Samaria, India, Chantal, Clancy, Simone, Charles, Danae, Brooklyn, Autymn, Abbey, Maryn, LaDaeja, and Avi